Intern Job Description
Summary: 8-10 hours per week; monthly stipend
Reports to: Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor/Administrator
Available Internships: 1
Education: Enrolled and in good standing with a Virginia, District of Columbia or Maryland college or university. Declared major of Psychology, Counseling, Social Work or related studies. Concentrations or minors in Developmental Psychology, African American studies, American studies, and Women’s studies is a plus. Completion of at least 30 credit hours toward Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Science degree.
– Establish concrete learning objectives and long-term goals that are measured and celebrated
– Access to research databases, clinical resources, and diagnostic assessments
– Opportunity to conduct intake interviews with prospective clients and complete required clinical documentation via electronic recordkeeping system within the same day.
– Participates in weekly supervision and training with an openness to learning and receiving feedback.
– Observes Individual, Couple, and Family sessions
– Observes Evidence Based Practices (EBP) and cultural nuances associated with applied interventions
Non-essential Duties and Responsibilities:
– Attends outreach workshops, meetings, and lectures
– Social media management
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
– Knowledge and basic skills in developmental psychology, family systems, cultural diversity
– Ability to plan, implement, evaluate and report activities conducted.
– Ability to communicate effectively in writing and to prepare written and electronic documents.
– Ability to communicate effectively, both in person, email correspondence, and by telephone.
– Ability to establish rapport with others as a requisite for healthy and therapeutic relationships.
– Ability to receive and utilize constructive feedback regarding performance, presentation and relationships with others.
– Ability to be both consistent and flexible as circumstances warrant.
– Ability to effectively weigh and evaluate need for self-care
– Ability to remain calm in psychological emergencies and/or crises
Start Date: December 2017
Duration: Winter 2017-Spring 2018
Contact Crystal Joseph at Crystal@PsycYourMind.com if interested. Please attach your curriculum vitae and a 250-500 word statement addressing the following: “How do you define mental health?” Submissions due no later than October 10. Interviews begin November 1, 2017. Internship award notice will be sent out November 24.